The World Day of Prayer (WDP) is celebrated in more than 170 countries around the world, typically on the first Friday in March. From the WDP offerings received in Canada, funds are made available to support projects in Canada and abroad.
An application for a project grant will be considered from:
- Canadian organizations (registered charities) supporting local or international initiatives with and on behalf of women
Applications which support program work with women in the following areas will be considered: violence against women, economic justice, health, education, racism, and peace. We encourage projects that:
- are cooperative and promote self-sufficiency
- contribute to raising awareness of underlying causes of suffering
- contribute to women’s empowerment
- enable women to develop their full potential
- provide education and training for women
Limitation: WICC does not give grants to individuals, or for buildings or general operating expenses (e.g. salaries).
- Grants range between $500 and $5000, Canadian funds.
- Applications from outside Canada must have a Canadian partner organization with a valid CRA code. All applications must be submitted using the World Day of Prayer Grant application form and all will be reviewed by the selection committee. Final approval will be made by the Board at its spring meeting. Applicants will be notified of the decision by July 10.
- A follow-up report on the work for which funding has been received must be submitted to the Women’s Inter-Church Council of Canada within six months of receipt of the grant.
Ecumenism and the Grant Process
WICC is an ecumenical organization made up of 10 denominational partners; please see Our Partners for the up-to-date list.
We make every effort to ensure that we do not support any project that is contrary to the teachings of any of our church partners. Each application that is being considered for funding is read by the Denominational Appointees who may decline any application which is contrary to the teachings of their church.
Please make sure you have what you need to apply